Monday 2 December 2013

Blog #5 - Web Server Experience

If I had to choose between Apache and IIS, I'd have to compromise and say I like both.
Apache was the first web server I learned how to install and configure, so I feel more connected to it.
However, IIS is more widely used and offers a somewhat-helpful GUI to help you manage it. (I say somewhat-helpful because it can be annoying at times)

To install Apache, you need to go to their main site at http://httpd.apache.org/ and download the version you want (without crypto).You then follow the instructions in the installer, entering their suggestions if you're unsure, until it's done.
To Install IIS, you need to go into the Control Panel, select the Programs option, and click Turn Windows features on or off. In the popup, navigate to Internet Information Services, Web Management Tools, click the box next to IIS Management Console, and click OK. It will then enable IIS for you.

Apache's websites go inside the Apache#.#\htdocs folder, while
IIS's websites go inside the initpub\wwwroot folder.

Apache's configuration file is in Apache#.#\conf and is named httpd.txt. This file contains any and all virtual hosts, as well as accepted index page file formats and more. Any changes made to this file require administer privileges and an Apache restart to take effect, which is done by simply left-clicking the Apache icon in the taskbar, moving over Apache#.# and selecting Restart. If you get an error, it most likely means something in your httpd file is in an incorrect format and must be fixed before Apache can start.

When configuring a web site with Apache, I find it a lot easier to work with since I can see how and why each component connects with each other, and how it returns the final result.
IIS I find is more complicated to work with because of its GUI, which feels restricting and unnecessary.
Maybe I'm just biased towards Apache because it came first, but if it were required, I would learn how to use IIS better. Until then, Apache just seems the right path for me.

Also, it is not recommended to be running both Apache and IIS at the same time as they will conflict with each other.

Well, I suppose that's enough talk about web servers for now. Using them does seem like something I would consider doing in my future, and who knows? Maybe one day I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment